4 May 2019 - MCFL Saturday Division One

Star London



London Samurai Rovers


FC Star London 2 vs 3 London Samurai Rovers


After the crazy last few months and last weeks setback, London Samurai Rovers travelled to East London to take on FC Star London, a Romanian heritage team, in the last game of season 2018-19. London Samurai knew they could not win the league but promotion hopes were still firmly in sight so a win was what was needed to round off a successful but bitter season. Samurai stared in the usual 4-3-3 formation with Bobby in goal, Harry, Fumiya, Sada and Joe made up the back line with Wata in front. Shunya and Keita completed the midfield three with Keigo up top and Jordan and Koshi starting on the wings, Andre and Shin started on the side lines. The game started in frantic pace Samurai was bombarding the FC Star penalty box but could not convert with shots going wide or being gathered by the Star keeper. On the 15thminute mark the breakthrough finally came, a ball was played over the top for Keigo to run on to and slot pass the stranded keeper. It was all Samurai from then on but the ball was just going in to the net, how many times have we heard that as the season has come to a close. Samurai soon got the second goal they deserved when a ball fell kindly for Keigo to tap in to make it 2-0. The game began to slow and FC Star became a bit more lively, their right winger was pacey and causing Samurai some problems as he drove towards the by line. As half time approached FC Star were awarded a bizarre penalty when their number 9 went through on goal and slipped over, the ref had adjudged Sada to have tripped him although he was a foot away from him. In an even more bizarre move the FC Star goalkeeper stepped up to take the penalty only for Bobby to dive to his left and palm to ball out for a corner. Just as the half time whistle was about to be blown, FC Star raced up the pitch and put a ball in the box which fell kindly for their striker to smash in to the net from 5 yards out, 2-1 and half time.

The second half started the same as the first with Samurai high pressing and causing FC Star to rush and punt the ball out of play or in to the paths of the Samurai defence to sweep up. The game became stale with both sides cancelling each other out and Samurai dominating possession but not able to convert the pressure. As the half wore on FC Star became tired and a ball over the top from Wata was placed in to the path of Koshi who dribbled towards the goal and slotted past the FC Star Keeper to make it 3-1 Samurai. Andre and Shin were introduced for Keita and Jordan respectively to liven the game up and inject some more pace in to the final third. Within minutes Andre had a long shot blocked and Shin went through on goal only to shoot wide of the post. As the half wore on Andre had another long shot tip the post and go wide and Shin squandered a cross ball wide. With 10 minutes to go FC Star got a consolation, a free quick was awarded, the ball laid off for the Star winger to shoot, a massive deflection off of Wata caused the ball to hit the inside of the post and fly in to the net, 3-2 Samurai.  The final stages of the match were played out with Samurai keeping possession and running the clock down with balls in to the channels. The last game of the season ended FC Star London 2, London Samurai Rovers 3. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support and we hope to see you next season in the Middlesex County Football League Premier Division.